Wednesday 27 April 2011

Braving the Domain

Braving the Public Domain – M1.2 VL2
Professional Context – Notes

Notion of Audience – Response to work what does an audience bring to the work.
Once in the public domain you are surrending your work, it is not yours anymore.
Understanding the Audience
How do we wish to be judged? – I want to be judged on the standard of my work and the reasoning behind why I create the work.
Who do we relate to? – I relate to artists such as Francis Bacon, the movement in his work, the morphing of the face etc.
How will people engage with the work? Hopefully it will create a discussion!!
Our Intentions – My intention with the work  I am creating at the moment is my reactions and awareness of behaviour in society I believe, but as time goes on I believe my direction my alter and change for fresh inspiration.
Who is looking? Hopefully the general public and I do hope that eventually when the work is seen it is seen positively but that the discourse that runs through it creates discussion.
Why are people looking? I am interested in the type of people that go to galleries, because I think they are a bit of an unknown quantity.
Assumption of the Audience – everyone brings something of themselves even when looking at your work, they view within their world not yours.
Appropriation – Capture the visual image, may not be totally understood
Do we as artists have the control – What you are saying vs what you are showing.
Art works can hold power.
Entertainment the unusual, Body for site of art – Lisa Wesley Studio 31, 2003 status of viewer and model changed throughout the performance.
Think about your intentions as an artist, about control- And the response to that.
Engagement with the audience – TV audiences – collective response, can we manipulate a bond.
Plan work so it is read as you wish it to be read.
As Artists do we provide something?
Image, Music, Text - Roland Barthes – Death of the Author
Birth of the reader at the cost of the author, loss of control
Process of the making, interpretation, giving the world your work.
Freedom of engagement.

Who is the work for? My work is about me but I would like it discussed within the public context, and of course there is a sense of self satisfaction especially when the technical aspect is good, the reason why I have created the piece comes across well.
Test to the viewer, attention, learning, community benefit.
Artist, strive, rigour, integrity
Free of constraint, contextual requirement, constraints, value for money, pressure of commerce, financial security.
7 Days in the Art World
Charles Saatchi
Helen Paris – Curious, target audience, audience engagement
Is their a need, professional, common ground, relationship between maker and viewer. A suppression of artists intention
Audience a real experience it may not be interactive
Bridget Riley- High Sky 2 1992
Articulate, bold, hold the viewer, retainment in the mind of the viewer.
Success, -  critical, audience, mass, debate, unpick what we want
So consider carefully, thoughtfully the response of the audience, unpick, challenge, show work, the critiqued work.         

No comments:

Post a Comment