Wednesday 3 October 2012

A way of life? or Identity

My work life as a Medical Laboratory Assistant and when you take into the ratio of male MLA's to female MLA's there is a vast and distinctive difference because this particular role is usually filled by woman, it is underpaid and we are distinctly undervalued and it has always been like that since the post of MLA's was created.
My home life is not unusual by any means but it is not easy and once again its a common situation for the single parent to be female on a low wage struggling to survive and I am not an isolated group because this situation happens to many woman from many different backgrounds.
So within my creative work I look at my life and how my work interprets that particular arena and how I have extended this by attempting to visually creative some form of dialogue regarding my daughter's particular generation and this particular age group and the emotional and physical issues is hard to define.

However I have found a quote that for me does sum up how I feel about my work at this moment in time.

Lucy R Lippard argument is used within a discussion regarding feminist art in the book Art and Feminism, Lippard declares that feminist art is "Neither a style nor a movement' but rather a value system, a revolutionary strategy, a way of life".(1982:20)

Therefore I want to ask the question or rather am I not understanding Art and Identity by feeling that maybe Identity is a way of life for individuals and how they live and what is reflected within that sphere 'Identity'. 

Any moving on the work I have recently made, I was incredibly impressed with the level of work being produced by other MA students and I have felt very inadequate and awestruck, and I have been inspired to create work using ink to sketch with and I have only produced these two images, what is interesting about these pieces is that I have attempted not to copy the photographic images but to be inspired by them from memory therefore they are not a true representation and in doing this the reality has been removed and the essence of the image remains.   



I have continued to create more ink sketches using a variety of coloured inks and I started off looking at creating ink images of Emma's face.



Due to comments made by students and also tutors I am aware of how I compositionally positions the image on the paper and how they differ from when I am taking photographs.



Recognising that when I use different mediums I see visually a different way of positioning of the object/person. This is a very interesting area for me to look at as the MA continues.



I have looked at the work of Marlene Dumas and I am interested in how she uses the gradient of colour within her work, and within these ink drawings I have been experimenting with certain colours. As you can see above in the variety of ink sketches that I have created.
Furthermore I have attempted to create a large piece once again using the blueish hues.

 
 
 
Within the piece above the looseness of the brushstrokes seem to be scratchy and the body seems mishaped and the stance is awkward, the eyes are averted, this piece is difficult and I feel as a viewer very uncomfortable to look at which is an element which fits within this image.
 
This module has been difficult and complex and time has been a terrible issue on top of everything else, I hope that I can develop from this module and learn from the issues which have arisen.
 




 I created this finale piece and I know that it is not like the paintings that I usually make, but the contrasting elements of the oil paints and watercolour inks creates a nightmarish element and the face is distorted and not much like my daughter's.
However there is a finality to this piece which for me is a positive conclusion to this module.

The work in this module has been based around the book 'Art and Today' and the chapter 'Art amd Identity' by Eleanor Heartney because Identity has been underlying my throughout this module, I started of exploring that develop and mould my identity through society in which I live, our lives change and shift and so does our identity. I found that when myself and my daughter collaborated that this work was about defining ourselves as individuals and how difficult this is at the age of fourteen as you develop into adulthood leaving childhood behind.

Considering the work I have created during this module I have thought about how I would like them to be displayed during the assessment when taking all of these images and what they mean and how the viewer will see these pieces.
So I have put a note into the parcel which will be sent off to the OCA, and in I have asked that the painting by hung up and either side I want the ink drawings pinned up, furthermore I have printed off 20 photocopies of my daughter and I want these scattered onto the floor leading up to the images, so the viewer will have to either avoid stepping or actually step onto these images. Because these images regarding Emma are about how we as adults often ignore or avoid any confrontation regarding teenagers, we prejudge what they may be interested in and what affects these individuals during this stage in their lives.

Finally Caroline and I have discussed who the photographs of my daughter is disturbing and fboth myself and Caroline realised that these images have a sense of the images of Leah Betts (b.1977 d.1995) there was an image of her on a ventilator which raised the profile of the drug ecstasy and also the images of Rachel Whitear (b.1979 d.2000) she died from a heroin overdose, which led to a large scale anti-drugs campaign.  


Leah Sarah Betts (1 November 1977[1] – 16 November 1995   

No comments:

Post a Comment