Tuesday 3 May 2011

Case Study Franko B, reflection on 'live act'

Performance art that involves the use of physically hurting yourself especially by bloodletting, which does lend itself to a form of self-harming, is an area that I personally struggle with because I work within the NHS and specifically within the Blood Bank department. The ethos of this particular department is that the essence of blood is essential to life, and when given freely by a blood donor has the capacity to be lifesaving.
When discussing this with Caroline and a variety of artists that I had expressed interest in, Caroline felt that I should write a case study on Franko B because he has created a debate and a passionate response from myself, and I did think this was quite a challange for me but an interesting course of action
So this case study in is centred on the work of Franko B (b.1960) who was born in Milan and has lived in London since 1979. He creates work using a multitude of media, video, photography, performance, painting, installation, sculpture and mixed media. Franko B is widely known for his live performances using his own body and bleeds in a controlled manner as a form of expression. He makes the statement on his website.

"I'm essentially a painter who also works in performance. I come from a visual art background and not "live art" or theatre, and this is very important to me as it informs the way my work is read. In the last 20 years or so I have developed ways of working to suit my need at that particular time, in terms of strategy and context, by using, installation, sculpture, video and sound"( 2010)
http://www.franko-b.com/ - Accessed 13.04.2011

I personally feel that performing acts that involve self-harming is in a way morally wrong, especially when exhibited via a performance, in doing this it almost makes self-harming acceptable and even glamorous. I am making this statement before I have actually sat and watched a whole performance by Franko B and so maybe I am being a hypocrite to states my opinions before watching one of Franko B 'Live Acts'.

Therefore I have watched a recording of one of his performances which is situated on his own website.The video shows the visual image of a white figure instantly creates a sense of vulnerability and witnessing this figure standing alone allowing his blood to drain, within a short period the effect of blood loss is clearly showing, and the willpower he summons as he walks the pure white runway if just so horrible to watch, that I cried, there is a voyeuristic feeling as if watching someone be led out to sacrificed. I was very upset by watching this piece.
The main focus for me was the vulnerability of the artist. and even though I do not know this artist intimately I felt concern for his health. Especially towards the end of the performance I also found myself feeling quite nauseous due to the feeling of concern and helpless. Because I was worried about the artist and then I felt a sense of the ridiculous because my concern was inappropriate considering I was just watching a video. Furthermore watching this performance the exposed vulnerability of Franko B reflected personally to me bringing feelings to the fore of loneliness and need that I do not talk about or express which in turn made me feel vulnerable which was the main reason that I myself continued to explore this avenue by painting my own body and to be photographed as well, as I have stated earlier in the blogsite that is the reasoning behind my actions.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment