Sunday 9 October 2011

Breaking the Boundaries

          The area of Worcester in which I live was built in the 1960’s as a large council estate towards the more industrial area of Blackpole. The house I live in is part of a row of five houses built in the 1980’s and they are slightly different from the other houses on the estate.
          I began to think that this row of houses could be the area in which my work could be displayed in. I went round and visited my neighbours and explained about the project and how I was hoping that each neighbour was willing to show two prints of the work I have been creating in their windows that looks out into the main street. All the neighbours were keen to take part.
          Once again I discussed this idea with members of the team, as well as other artistic associates, what did concern me with this idea was that this area is full of characters which have I have been influenced by and this has been reflected in the work that I have created. However this is a poor area and there are social issues to be considered. Would people be offended with the images on show and how would they react?
I began to feel uncomfortable about involving my neighbours in this idea, because I felt that I could make the decision to show my work using the windows that look out onto the main street. So if a brick was put through the window due to the fact someone was offended with the work, and this could be a reality, so I have decided to not involve my neighbours.

No comments:

Post a Comment